An Unexpected Surgery


I was discharged from Island Hospital yesterday and resting at home now. Was admitted for a minor surgery to surgically drain my breast abscess. My breast abscess was originated from mastitis, which is a bacteria infection on my breast and causing my milk to clog and worse it was blocked, end up cannot be clear by either baby sucking or express out.

I then gotten a referral letter from Intel’s panel clinic and went to see my surgeon on Thursday afternoon, ultrasound has shown that I have a lump that is quite huge and required a surgical drainage on my infected breast as soon as possible. So after discuss and agreed with my surgeon, my operation is plan on Friday morning to avoid any worsen on my infection breast which can cause more infection spreading and spoil my breast tissue.

The surgery was less than an hour I believe. On moment I get back my consciousness, it was around 11am already. Everything went thru smoothly and I was able to have my lunch around 1+pm. Around evening time, I met my surgeon and he explained to me how the surgery was done and what are the things that I need to do after I get discharged. He explained to me how should I attend to my wound too until we meet again on coming Thursday for further adjustment on the wound and follow-up. The wound was around 1+cm, it is an open wound for now attached to a tube to let the dirty blood and other liquid to leak out. So, I don’t need to clean my wound everyday, yet just to change my dressing whenever it is wet. Thank God it wasn’t too difficult and painful.

In order to kill all the bacteria and to recover from the surgery, my surgeon said I need to stop breastfeeding from now onwards to avoid further spread of the infection and potential of causing spoil on my breast tissue. This is the only thing that I am quite sad of actually. I’d then spoken to Dr. Hwang, she is a really good paediatrician, she visited me after my surgery and told me that there is way to resume breastfeeding even though I will have to force stop it for now. But first thing first, I will have to be fully recovered from the surgery. Hopefully… I still have the chance to breastfeed baby Jenhong.

After my surgery… my poor hubby is so busy taking care of baby because I do not hold my baby for now to avoid it worsens my wound. My hubby did most of the housework, cooking and baby stuff, while I take more time to rest for faster recovery.


Really appreciate that my baby sitter, Winnie is ok to take over my baby sooner than expected, so baby Jenhong is going to Winnie’s place during daytime, and while my hubby come home after work, he will go pick him up. There is still 2 weeks before I resume back at work, hopefully within this 2 weeks, my wound can recover most of it and I can start to work without much worried.
2 Responses
  1. Karen Shia Says:

    As you said, something was just happen unexpected. Don't be so sad that unable to breastfeed Jien Hong. He knows you are trying to do all the best for him. He wants you to get well very soon too. Take care urself.


  2. Redsponge Says:

    I am sorry to hear about that. Take care and get well soon!